Well hello, fall!

This week we welcomed fall. In Florida that means...nothing. It's still 85-95 degrees, although today it's rainy and slightly cooler (82) so it feels a little like fall in my house watching football and burning a caramel apple cake candle.

2 weeks down now, and this week went fast. I have already developed a well-known deployment illness called "Phantom Ringer Syndrome". This is when you constantly 'hear' your phone ringing. This causes you to run inside/out of the shower/out of the bathroom etc. to check your phone, which is NOT ringing.

This week I had a wildlife emergency. Spiders invaded my doorway. I spent a whole 24 hours going in and out of my driveway because a giant, and I'm not exaggerating, wolf spider guarded my front door on the ledge by the handle. No kidding, he was bigger than my palm. Then, he was gone. But, others also showed up from time to time, like this one, who was about as big as a quarter.
Baby compared to the giant, who I was not getting close enough to photograph 
I got an awesome new wine glass from my friend, Lisa. I only found out it was Lisa after asking who sent me the awesome gift on Facebook since there was no note! I also figured out that Naan makes the perfect sized personal pizza that I can cook in my toaster oven! Woot!
My awesome glass with some military alphabet humor
Yesterday I attended the National Military Spouse Network Roadshow event and it was AWESOME to be in a room full of highly accomplished, smart, educated, working military spouses! I wish I'd have joined long ago! And to receive mentoring and advice from Suzie Schwartz was amazing. I can't wait to get more involved!
Sue Hoppin and Suzie Schwartz
I'm getting uber excited for our Disney trip. I created a countdown widget (and fast pass booking is in 9 days!). I also developed a new obsession. With the new Snapchat maps, you can zoom in on a location and watch snaps from that location. Every. Day. It's also Halloween Horror Nights at Universal. So, I'm very busy. Watching snaps. Of strangers.
My countdown widget
Disney fireworks every night? Yes, please!
Also this week, my friend Lindsey Lee and I have decided to submit a chapter proposal for a book on military spouse employment. With my doctoral research, and her expertise in job searching, we're hoping to write a how-to guide for military spouses to find post graduate work despite the barriers they face to employment.

The most important drama of the week has to do with work. I was offered a fantastic opportunity to work from home with K. Parks Consulting. The very next day I was matched with a GS job via the spouse Priority Placement Program. After agonizing, and talking through the pros and cons with, well, everyone I trust, I respectfully declined the consulting job knowing I'll accept a GS job if it's offered. However, K. Parks asked me to work for them until a GS job cones through, knowing I'm going to leave eventually. I am so thrilled to be given the opportunity and incredibly impressed that they'd allow me to do so! I start tomorrow, wish me luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Countdown!

Holiday Blues

Red Horse Wives Gone Wild